Thursday, December 17, 2020

Harry Minassian (1937 - 2020)

 



On June 26th, Udi Harry Minassian passed away.

Harry was a well-known and talented oud player and singer in the Armenian American community.  He was devoted to the kef style of music especially the Turkish part of that repertoire.

I meant to write something immediately upon his passing but did not.  On June 30th, Ara Topouzian penned a beautiful and tribute and retrospective in The Armenian Weekly.  On July 15, Ara posted the article on his blog, HYE Times, and included a lot more photos.  His article was translated into Turkish and published in Agos in Istanbul.  On October 1, The Armenian Mirror-Spectator printed another excellent tribute by Harry Kezelian. 

Both Harry and Ara’s articles, provide biographical facts, photos, and quotes from other musicians.  The both noted that in 1969, the great Udi Hrant Kenkulian gave Harry Minassian and four other American Armenian oud players a certificate butting them with honorifc title Udi (oud master).

What can I add to what Harry and Ara wrote?  Just me own reflections.

When I was learning to play, Harry Minassian was not the first oud player I listened to and tried to learn from.  My Dad had Harry’s first album, Near East Enchantments.  I did listen to this album as I began to take up the oud but I wasn’t ready for Harry at that time.  I listened to Detroit’s favorite son oud player Kelly Kuchukian.   I then listened to John Berberian, George Mgrdichian, Richard Hagopian, and Marko Melkon.   A few years into my studies, I listened to Near East Enchantments again.  This time, it resonated very nicely.

There was not an Armenian song on the album.  They were all Turkish.  Every cut became a favorite with Kizilciklar Oldu Mu, Zanuba, Ararim, Kanemam, and Ege Çiftetelli became part of our (the Johnite Band in Detroit) repertoire.  Another song, Baghjede Mish Mish (Bahçede Miş Miş or Arabim Fellahi if you want to find it on YouTube but sadly not Harry’s version) was the most haunting song on that album from my perspective.  I learned it and enjoyed playing as I practiced it but I never heard it played live by any of the Armenian bands around the country.  

As good and influential as his recording are, Harry truly shined in his live performances.  There is no doubt that Udi Harry was a good oud player and a good singer.  But, he was not the best oud player.  Neither was he the best singer.  But, his magic was his singing combined with his playing.  I am not sure anyone in our American Armenian community was any better at both.  It was like one plus one equaled five.  He had an approach, pacing, and stage prescence that just made people want to get up and dance. 

To me he shined most on Sunday’s at Kef Time Hartford.  People showed up in droves for the Saturday Night Dance in Hartford with the likes of Richard Hagopian, Buddy Sarkisian, and Hachig Kazarian playing everyone’s favorite dance tunes in Armenian and Turkish.  People danced and partied into the wee hours of the morning.  Then on Sunday afternoon, Harry would take the stage most often with Leon Janikian and Roger Krikorian.  The hall on Sunday was smaller and more informal.  The crowd filled the hall, but was also smaller and much more informal.  If people were dressed up on Saturday night, they were in jeans on Sunday.  If folks were drink scotch on Saturday night, they were drinking beer on Sunday.  On Sunday, everyone came to hear and dance to Harry perform the classic Turkish songs of our American Armenian community.  Harry did not disappoint.  People brought their own mezza.  They were relaxed.  They were able to talk and hear the music which is rare at the bigger dances.  Those Sundays were gathering unlike any other in our community.  It was like a big happy family.  People would dance to their favorite songs with a beer bottle in their hands.  That atmosphere, vibe, being lifted by the music, with good friends, food and drink (I do believe we call that kef) was all centered around the mastery of Harry Minassian.  I am not sure we will ever see the likes of those Sunday afternoons again.

Thank you Udi Harry for those beautiful times.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mark. This brought back wonderful memories. Kef time was the best. Those were the day's my friend. Mickey and Clara

    ReplyDelete