Monday, March 9, 2020

My Library


The Photo Reid Johnson found
digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org
     It was my mother who first took me to the library.  For as long as I can remember, she instilled in me the value of education and the magic that can be found in books.  In doing so, she invoked the example and inspiration of my paternal grandfather, Aram, and his brother, Rouben.
      I am not entirely sure when she first took me to the library.  It must have been in first grade maybe second, I am not really sure.  It was circa 1960.  Back then we did not have the children’s programs that libraries seem to routinely offer these days.  We went to check out books.  The first book we ever checked-out was a Dr. Seuss title.  It might have been The Cat in the Hat which was first published in 1959.  But, if memory serves me correct, The Cat in the Hat was very popular and always out on loan.  It took several visits before were able to get it.  Over time, we must have checked-out every Dr. Suess book they had.
     The library we went to, my library, was the Monnier Branch of the Detroit Public Library.  It was on Schaefer at the corner of Grand River.  It was a grand old stone structure that may have been someone’s mansion.  Or maybe, as it was built during the time of Detroit’s breaking out as a great American city of the Industrial Revolution, it was built as a library and also a work of architectural beauty.   For example, during the same era, Cooley High School was built in an impressive Spanish Mediterranean style.  I would love to know the history of the building.
     Growing up, it was the only branch of the Detroit Public Library system that I ever went to. I just called it “the library.” To me it was just that… The Library. I am not sure if it fit my view of learning and books or if the library influenced how I viewed books and learning. In writing this, I am convinced it was me, the library, and my mother who all contributed to my view that learning is a gift and that there are great mysteries, wisdom, and insights to be revealed in the right books at the right time in one’s life.
     The Monnier Branch was a perfect complement to this view. It was from another age, it was venerable in a style that was more proletariat then royal. It had creaky wood floors that made we want to tread lightly to preserve the solemn quiet of the place. The interior was clad, in what I assume were oak shelves, paneling, desks, chairs, and counters. There was no air conditioning. It had big windows that were opened as needed. It had a very slight tinge of mustiness to make the ambiance perfect. And the library staff, the ladies, were wonderfully cast for their roles and were ever so helpful. I loved the place. I loved the space. I always felt special and at home there.
The Children's Corner
digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org
     The library was about a mile from our house.  At first my mother would drive us and would check out books for us.  We were always prompt in returning our books as the nickel per day fine for late returns would have been a huge expense.  We started with children’s books Dr. Seuss and other children’s story books.  We read all of the classics of that era.  As my reading improved, I gravitated to Henry Huggins, Mary Poppins, Enid Blyton’s adventure series, and finally Mark Twain.  It was wonderful and integral part of my early education.
     It was an important day when I was able to get a library card and check books out on my own.  I must have been in second or third grade because I had signed my card in my careful cursive style.  I was very proud to have that card and be able to borrow books.  Later, when I had my own grown-up bicycle and was allowed to ride in the streets, I used to ride my bike there to return books and check out more.  When I would ride there on my own, especially in the middle of a summer day, I was often the only person, other than staff, in the place.
     It wasn’t long before I realized that if I wanted to learn something new, the library was the perfect place to do so.  What are these atom things everyone was talking about?  They had books to help me learn that.  Who was this fellow Beethoven?  There was a book to educate me about Ludwig Van.  Once I thought I should learn history?  It was a very general notion.  So, I found a huge tome that was simply titled History.  As it turned out, the book only addressed the history of England.  It was well beyond my level and I could barely read two pages.  That experience taught me that not any book on a subject would do.  It had to be the right book at the right time to have the most impact.
     When we moved to Connecticut in 1990, one of the first things I did was go to the Wilton Public Library which, expect for having shelves of books, was nothing like my library.  I was new to Connecticut and realized I knew nothing of the history of the state.  I got a library card and took out a book on the history of Connecticut.  As I learned about the history of Michigan in the fifth grade at Burns Elementary, I sought out  a fifth-grade level book on Connecticut.  I found one and it was perfect.
     Some years ago, I tried to find information about the Monnier Branch.  There was nothing on the internet.  I went on the Detroit Public Library site and found nothing there either.  It was as if it never existed.  A few weeks ago, I posted a request on a Facebook group page, IF YOU LIVE OR GREW UP NEAR GRAND RIVER AND GREENFIELD, asking if anyone had a photo of the library.  Amazingly, my friend Reid Johnson, from the neighborhood, posted a photo from the Detroit Public Library site.  I was glad to see them embracing their history.  I hope they will eventually provide a history of the building and the person it was named for.  A web search has me believing the Monnier Library and the nearby Monnier Elementary school were named for Peter Monnier a Civil War signalman. 
Circa 1962
digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org
     The last time I was at the library was in 1967 or 1968.  I asked a librarian if they had part-time employment figuring it would be a special place to work and earn some spending money as I was about to enter high school.  She said they did not need anyone at the time but took my name and address down.  I had no expectations.  But, about a year later I got either a phone call or letter from the librarian asking if I was still interested in a job there.  My heart soared for a second and then sank.  We were just about to move from Detroit to Livonia.  It was a bittersweet moment.
     As with many places in my old neighborhood and in Detroit in general, the Monnier Branch is no longer a library.  I have no idea if the building has been repurposed, abandoned and vandalized, or just torn down.  I almost don’t want to know.  I want to remember it as was… my library.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent memories! I also loved the Monnier Library, beginning in the late 1940s and into the 1950s. I loved everything about it, especially the smell of books. My earliest favorite books were the Bobbs-Merrill series on famous people when they were young (in very distinctive orange covers). Jim Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the inside of the library with the creaky floors,musty smell, and oak shelves hit home.
    I spent man hours there. I loved the Black Stallion books.
    Many, many happy memories there. I went to Parker Elementary.
    I'd love to know what happened to the building. I hope it was preserved in some form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still an awesome library when we moved to the area, on Littlefield, in the fall of 1971. In similar experience to the writer, our parents instilled in us a great love of reading, and I have many fond memories of great runs to the Ecorse library on Outer drive and Jefferson, by bike or foot before moving to the "near west side. They still had awesome staff there, but sadly, about two years in, about 1973 or so, it was closed. It was razed, and there is now a Detroit Police precinct on the location. Would have done the neighborhood more good, had it remained a library branch location, for the police (non) response the area received, lol.

      Delete