Tuesday, February 25, 2020

MEME: Talking with Arjang Khorzad

Arjang at a MEME Rehearsal
     The Persian Concert of Middle Eastern Music Ensemble (MEME) of the University of Chicago is coming up this weekend: Saturday, February 29th. The Persian Concert is so popular it is the only MEME concert that has two performances. Usually, we do them on successive days. This year, both performances will on the same day at 3 pm and 7 pm.
     As usual, our Maestro Wanees Zarour has prepared and arranged wonderful selections. We have been practicing for seven weeks in preparation and are ready to go. This 2019 – 2020 season started with Turkish Concert in November and will finish with the Arab Concert on May 23. The Ensemble is doing amazingly well. We are 40+ members strong and the musicianship is at the highest level it has been in the few short years I have been part of this wonderful group. We fill the auditorium at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Performing Arts for each concert. 
     As is my habit, I like to feature a musician or two in this blog before every concert. I do this for three reasons. Frist, I am trying to create some more buzz and excitement for the concert. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, through these profiles, I am slowly providing a history of MEME. Lastly, penning these profiles allows me to really get to know my fellow MEME members much better. 
     For previous Persian Concerts, I have profiled our gifted singer Gilda Amini, tar player and singer Elham Behesti, cellist Hannah Vis, and percussionist Oya Dubay. For this concert, I was fortunate enough for to spend some time with Arjang Khorzad. 
     Arjang is the quiet force of the Persian Concert. He is a soft-spoken and humble gentleman. But, as they say about still waters, Arjang is a wealth of information and talking with him is both a pleasure and an opportunity to learn. He plays the tar very well, advises Wanees on the selection of pieces, and an inspiration to everyone in MEME.

How did you get into this music? Tell me your story. Was the music all around you when you grew up. Did you start off with middle eastern music or western music? 

I grew up in the 1980s, following the 1979 revolution, in Iran. At that time, music was not tolerated through the mainstream media, however people somehow found ways to access it. Growing up, I never saw any musical performances on TV. Classical Persian music was still played occasionally on the radio, as it was one of the few genres that was somewhat accepted, however, my parents and relatives didn’t really listen to that kind of music. I was mostly exposed to western pop and love songs, which we watched on the VCR but as I got older, I didn’t relate to the pop songs anymore and began listening to heavy metal. Looking back, I now see that there’s a resemblance between heavy metal riffs and power chords and the folk music of Iran (particularly dotar music of Khorasan or tanbur music of western Iran).

Gradually my music interests shifted to progressive rock and I listened to a lot of 60’s and 70’s rock bands. Later, through a couple of friends (one being a big Mohammed-Reza Shajarian fan and the other a fantastic santoor player and composer), I was introduced to classical
Arjang's artwork used in the poster
for the 2018 Persian Concert
Iranian music and mainly Shajarian’s works. The modes and melodies sounded so familiar as if I had listened to them all my life. I loved it! I used to admire rock stars like Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, but then I was blown away by these Iranian musicians that no one knew about outside of Iran. I became very passionate about classical Persian music and decided to learn the tar. I took some lessons, but then, after a couple of years, I moved to Chicago and didn’t think I would be able to continue.

Then in 2008, I learned about the Middle East Music Ensemble through a friend. A couple of other Iranian friends and I joined the ensemble. We were the first group of Iranian members at MEME. Issa Boulos, who was the director then, asked us to prepare a couple of Persian songs to play in the Turkish concert that year. The following year, he added a Persian concert! He really supported us, and I greatly appreciate that. I learned a lot from him and the other members. 

Which of the three MEME concerts is your favorite (Turkish, Persian, or Arab)? How do you relate to the concerts that aren't part of your heritage? 
I love all three concerts and I actively listen to classical Arab, Turkish, Armenian, and Persian music. I have also actively participated in all three concerts throughout my years as a member of MEME. For me, the exposure to the maqam music (i.e., modal music of the Middle East) during the Arab and Turkish concerts really opened my eyes to how Middle Eastern music was learned and interpreted throughout the centuries. It was like travelling back in time to when there were more interactions between these cultures. I was really able to see the connections between them. The Middle Eastern region was all maqam music and all three (Turkish, Persian, and Arab) shared many of the same principles and terminology.

What is it like to be part of MEME?

MEME has been a big part of my life here in Chicago. It’s like being a part of a great community where I feel I belong, and I am always welcome. There’s this middle eastern warmth and hospitality that make it feel like home. There is a wonderful culture at the ensemble and Wanees Zarour does a great job promoting that. I believe it was Issa who opened MEME to the community members which helped both the ensemble and the community. I have met many amazing people and made a lot of great friends. I keep learning from everyone here and miss those who, over the years, have left the group.

Tell us a bit about your day job, family, and hobbies? 
I am an architect and work for a large firm in downtown Chicago. We
Arjang portrait of
MEME cellist Hannah Vis
mostly design high-rises. On the side, I play music, draw, and paint. I have been working on a project, painting musicians with their instruments. If you know of anyone interested, let me know!

     Check out Arjang’s excellent art at arjangkhorzad.com. I love his work. 
     Let me end this piece with a quote from our Maestro Wanees Zarour who beautifully captures the what Arjang means to MEME: 
Arjang has deeply rooted knowledge of Persian music, understands the nuances and poetry, and is a walking encyclopedia of Persian repertoire. In addition to being a stellar tar player, Arjang’s efforts are central in making the Persian concerts happen. I deeply value his opinions and rely on his suggestions in selecting a well-balanced set list for the concert. The Persian concerts would not be the same without his behind-the-scenes work. In addition to his thoughtful advice, he has over the years introduced the ensemble to wonderful vocalists and instrumentalists who helped transform the group over the past decade. 
     Hope to see you at the concert.




No comments:

Post a Comment