Thursday, June 29, 2023

This Side of Seventy?

 

My very cool DC Birthday Cake

On June 25th, I turned 70 years old.

The festivities began in Washington, DC with our family there the weekend of June 10th (Coat of Arms).

My actual birthday fell on a Sunday this year and we celebrated over four days with family.  My aunt and uncle flew in from Boston.  It was their anniversary and we celebrated that.  My mother, aunt, and sister drove in from Detroit.  It was special having them here for the festivities.  There were like five other June birthdays.  We celebrated those as well.   We were at a Greek restaurant on Friday evening, at our house on Saturday night, at an Armenian Picnic in Wisconsin on Sunday, and on Monday we wrapped it Chicago style by gathering for dinner at Portillo’s. 

The relatives that could not be here all called me.  There were hundreds of texts, posts, and messages on social media.  I was overwhelmed and felt very blessed by the outpouring of well wishes and birthday greetings.

Thanks to everyone who reached out.  I greatly appreciate it.

The conception of this blog and the title of it, This Side of Fifty, is tied to my 50th birthday. 

I began writing on a daily basis on June 25, 2002 when I turned 49.  I expected to document my 50th year with wit, humor, and wisdom.  The goal was to pen a best seller and become a full-time writer. 

That did not happen.  The writing only had scant moments of wit and humor.  As for wisdom?  I didn’t detect any.  Needless to say, there was no book.  But I got into the habit of writing each and every day.  I have enjoyed the daily writing and it has been most fulfilling.

In January 2003, I learned about Aram Kevorkian, a renowned lawyer in Paris, and his brilliant Kevorkian Newsletter.  Aram had passed on December 20, 2003.  A friend of mine who was a childhood friend of Aram’s, sent me a few examples of his Newsletter.  Immediately, I knew that this is what I was going to do with my writing.  I was going to write a monthly letter.  There was no intention to take over where Aram left off or no assumption that my monthly letter was going to measure up to his in terms of quality or intellect.  I just loved the idea of a monthly letter to friends and family.  The content and style of the letter was my own.  In my own way, I wanted to emulate and pay homage to Aram Kevorkian a fellow I wish I could have met.

A commuter friend of mine, with a good measure of marketing acumen, suggested the name of the letter - This Side of Fifty:  A Monthly Letter of Musings and Meanderings.  I sent the letter out by email on a monthly basis until January 2009, when I transformed the monthly letter into a blog.  I kept the name and subtitle even though it is no longer a letter and I post more than once a month.  I am in my 20th year of musing and meandering.  It has been a most rewarding project.

When I turned 60, I thought that I might rename the blog as This Side of Sixty.  That thought lasted only a fast second.  There was no need for rebranding, and I was still on the same side of fifty after all anyway.  The same applies to turning 70; I am still on the same side of fifty.

Thanks again to one and all for the wonderful birthday wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment