Saturday, October 15, 2022

Michigan 41 - Penn State 17

 

Blake Corum - WolverineWire

Today my favorite football team, the 5th ranked Michigan Wolverines, faced the 10th ranked Nittany Lions of Penn State.  Both teams were undefeated and with identical 6-0 records.  Michigan, playing at home, was favored by 7 points.

It is the 7th game of the 2022 season.  Not only have I not attended a single home game, but I have not even watched a full game on TV.  Every week, I have had a conflict.  This circumstance would have made me insane when I was more of, well, an insane fan.  Now, I am more philosophical and OK about it.  The more rational mindset might certainly be due to the normal aging process.  It might also be due to having the humbling experience of enduring the less than elite performance of my favorite team from 2008 – 2020.  We won the Big Ten Championship in 2021 after a 17 drought. 

Today, while I was not able to make it to Ann Arbor, I was able to watch the game on TV.  I was excited to be able to watch an entire game.  The Athletic Department called from a Maize out meaning that everyone should be dressed in maize-colored tops to give the stadium a very yellowish look.  While I was in my own family room, I donned my maize Michigan pull-over.

I thought it would be a close and hard-fought game between two undefeated, ranked, teams and that could go either way.  Penn State came into the game ranked as the 5th defense against the rush.   Michigan has relied heavily on the run and was ranked as the 19th best rushing offense in the country.  This would also be a test of Michigan’s defense as Penn State would be the best offense we have faced so far this year. 

Well, Michigan ran all over Penn State.  Michigan racked up 418 rushing yards.  Donovan Edwards had 173 yards and Blake Corum had 166.  In the third quarter, on two successive offense plays, both Edwards and Corum scored touchdowns on runs over 60 yards.  The offensive line was blowing open some huge holes.  I texted my cousin David that even I could have run through those holes for positive yardage. 

The game started with Michigan taking the opening kick-off and driving into the red zone.  Penn State stopped us and we were forced to kick a field goal.  The Michigan defense quickly established their dominance and held Penn State to a three and out.  Michigan drove to the red zone again but ended up settling for another field goal.  The first quarter ended with Michigan leading 6-0. 

In the second quarter, Michigan scored a TD to take a 13-0 lead.  On the next drive for Penn State, QB Sean Clifford but a run for 62 to the Michigan 4 yard line.  A few plays later they punched it in for a touchdown.  On the next drive, a tipped pass was intercepted by Penn State and run 42 yards for a touchdown.  Penn State lead for the first time 14-13.  Michigan kicked another field goal at the end of the second quarter to go into the locker room with a 16-14 halftime lead.

Penn State took the kick-off in the second half and drove into the red zone and came away with a field goal to take the lead again 17-16.  This would be their last lead.  Michigan scored the next 25 points and shut down Penn State and looked very dominant.

It was a complete win on both sides of the ball.  As the announcers said, and I paraphrase, this win was reminiscent of the tough defense and reliance on the superb running game win over Ohio State last year.  Both the offensive and defensive lines played well.  It was an excellent game on both sides of the ball.

We have a bye week and face our in-state rivals, Michigan State, in two weeks at home.  I am planning to attend that game.

Go Blue.

1 comment: