Monday, January 17, 2022

A Late Night Blog about Nothing

 


I am writing a January 16th bloggy bit, but it is already, officially, January 17th. 

It was a wonderful day, I am tired and want to go to bed, but first I want to write a bit.  Write about what?  I am a little tired about writing about deep subjects.  Who is not weary of the pandemic?  Who would like all the politicians just figure out how to get along and serve our nation better and if they can’t do that to just go away?  Count me in on both counts.  Sure, the planet needs help.  Global warming is something we must address, collectively… but not tonight.  Yes, we have supply chain issues and inflation and whatever else is making us economically uneasy if not outright worried.  Again, there is nothing I can do about it now.  Actually, for all of this “stuff” there is nothing I want to do about it now.  I would like to take a vacation from all these troubles.  I would like the rest of the world to do the same but that is really up to them.

Back in 1966 and again in 1967, Dr. Timothy Leary advised that we all “turn on, tune in, drop out.”  I could blog about whatever the fuck he meant by that.  But tonight, the universe is beckoning me or strongly suggesting that I just simply “tune out” and get a good night’s sleep.

Sounds good to me.  Who am I to argue with the universe?  The very notion that I believe the universe communicated with little ‘ole me this evening has brought a sense of peace and calm over me.  The universe is not asking that I permanently tune out, but just for this evening, just until tomorrow morning.  That sounds great to me.

So, that is why I am basically blogging about nothing and doing nothing this evening.

This sounds a bit familiar. 

This evening’s communication with the universe made me conjure up and alter the Timothy Leary quote.  It also made me think of the ancient Chinese test of Lao Tzu, the Tao Te Ching, where in Chapter 37 it provides the amazing koanic charge to:

道常無為, 而無不為
侯王若能守之, 萬物將自化
化而欲作, 吾將鎮之以無名之樸
無名之樸, 夫亦將無欲
不欲以靜, 天下將自定

Of course, I can’t read Chinese.  So, I have read a lot of translations to get the feel for the original.  I have a copy translated by Stephen Mitchell on my Evernote that I downloaded from CUNY Brooklyn.  Mitchell translated Chapter 37 as:

The Tao never does anything, yet through it all things are done. If powerful men and women could center themselves in it, the whole world would be transformed by itself, in its natural rhythms. People would be content with their simple, everyday lives, in harmony, and free of desire. When there is no desire, all things are at peace. 

Well, apparently, Lao Tzu has not singled me out.  He has freely offered this message to all of us for thousands of years.  I am glad to be in whatever state of mind I was tonight to experience this insight.  And by doing nothing, this bloggy bit came to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment