Friday, April 23, 2021

Chidem Inch: The 106th Anniversary


 

We Armenians commemorate again the anniversary of the start of the 1915 Armenian Genocide.  It was the day when the leaders and intellectuals of the Armenians were arrested mostly in Istanbul.  Some were later released, some disappeared forever.  On May 2, 1915,     several Armenian professors were arrested in Kharpert where three-quarters of my grandparents, and the same for my wife, hailed from.  Armenians lived there for at least ten centuries.

After the 100th anniversary in 2015, I was not sure what commemorations would like after that grim milestone.  This year we are commemorating with as heavy hearts as we have had in my memory.  In these pandemic times, we experienced the horrible war in Artsakh that most of the rest of the world knows as Nogorno-Kharabakh.  In the gut wrenching month of October the Turkish supported Azeri’s took half of the Armenian territory that was liberated in 1990 with the fall of the Soviet Union.  Azerbaijan might not have prevailed if it were not for the Turkish support of drones, some also from Israel, air support, and mercenaries from Syria.  We later found out that Turkey supplied the command and control for entire operation.  Armenians hoped and expected Russia to step in and stop the madness.  Milirary assistance never came.  Russia stepped in only to force a treaty on the Armenians that greatly favored the Azeris.

It was a crushing military defeat.  It has been crushing spiritually as well for Armenians around the world.  I have been numb since that day in November when the treaty was signed.  I blogged about it:

I have not written about it since.  I was empty.  I was numb.

When watching the inauguration of President Biden, I was inspired by the moving poem written and recited by Amanda Gorman.  I decided to write a poem to express, what I wasn’t sure.  I slowly began to write.  Some days it was easy and the words flowed.  Other days the stream of consciousness was a trickle or even dry.

The past few days, I realized that I should try to finish it for April 24.  I spent last evening editing it.  As I read the final product, I was struck with two thoughts.  First, it was cathartic.  I can now read analyses of the war and prognostications about the future of the Armenia and Artsakh.  I literally could not before.  Secondly, I was unsure if the poem was any good.  Most other poems I write, I feel good about judging them relative my body of work.  But this was written on raw emotion, it was written for that catharsis I knew I needed.  My suspicions was that it might be too emotional.

I debated about submitting it to the Armenian Weekly and finally decided to.  I actually gave the editors, Pauline Getsoian and Leeza Arakelian, the “don’t worry about offending me if you decide not to publish it” caveat.  They were graciously affirmative and I am pleased to share the link with you here:  An Armenian Lament.

---

Also, please check out the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment