Saturday, January 2, 2021

1971 - 2021: 50 Years

 


I was completely unaware that this New Year, 2021, marks 50 years since I graduated from high school.  I would have eventually figured it out.  But, today, the Wall Street Journal reminded me with an Op-Ed:  The Future Turns 50 This Year.   

I was not sure what the title meant, so I started reading.

Fifty years ago, America entered a magical year. Any year could hold moments of great significance, but 1971 stands out.

It was then I realized that 1971 was fifty years ago.

I stopped reading the article.  I just sat there a wee bit stunned, mostly because the 50th Anniversary of my graduating from high school was not remotely on my radar. 

The next thought was a question.  What made 1971 stand out?  Sure, it was an important year to me and my classmates.  But, I never considered it a stand-out year otherwise.  1967, 68, 69, for sure.  I have written about those years.  1971?  I was even more curious.

The article was written by Daniel Casse.  He is, per the WSJ article, “a managing partner of High Lantern Group, a strategic communications firm, and the president of G100’s chief executive group.”  He listed five things that happened in 1971 to support his claim to it being a pivotal year:

 

1.     The Opening of China
In 1971, Henry Kissinger made a secret trip to China which led to the restoration of diplomatic relations in 1972 and an opening of trade which literally has changed the world.

2.     The Start of Competition in the Telephone Business
The FAA made a policy change that allowed MCI to begin competing with AT&T (Ma Bell) which had a long-standing monopoly.  This led to lower prices and more features and services. 

3.     Floating of the US Dollar
In an effort to stem inflation and unemployment, the Nixon administration closed “the ‘gold window’ severed the link between the dollar and gold, inaugurating the era of floating exchange rates, activist monetary policy and central-bank interventions in the global economy.”

4.     The Opening of Disney World in Orlando
No need for an explanation here.

5.     Intel Launched the 4004 Chip
This was the first microprocessor that led to the PC revolution that changed and is changing still how we work, live, and interact. 

 

Mr. Casse goes on to say:

The year was filled with other milestones. The 26th Amendment was ratified, lowering the voting age to 18 from 21. Nasdaq, Greenpeace and Starbucks all got their starts. While the timing of these events owes a lot to coincidence, they also suggest a perfect storm of innovation, experimentation, optimism and growth.

Will there be a Class of 1971 50th Reunion?  I have no idea.  I am guessing yes.  Will I go or Zoom in, depending on the state of the pandemic?  Maybe.  Probably.  I don’t really know.  I haven’t been to one since 1976:  the 5 Year Reunion.  It would be nice to attend and see people.  I would say catch-up but in reality, it would be getting reacquainted. 

I have not been in touch with many folks from high school.  I did not work to maintain relationships but neither did others.  In 2014, I took my yearbook off of the bookshelf when I was penning a piece on a valued English teacher, Remembering Ms. Trosko, and thumbed through it.  I read the many wonderful sentiments classmates and other students wrote in my yearbook.  I was touched and more than a little embarrassed.  There were too many names, I simply had zero recall of.  Nada.  Zip.  Am I that shallow?  Well, some mixture of shallow, not keeping in touch with folks, and the passing of 50 years.

If there is a reunion, I most certainly will try to attend.

I sure am glad Daniel Casse wrote this article. 

2 comments:

  1. It is shocking. I would love to go to MI this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been nice.
    May 14, 2022 is the date now selected.

    ReplyDelete