Thursday, March 28, 2019

Sox or No Sox?

     It is that time of the year again. No, this not about the start of the baseball season and teams named for the color of their stockings.
     Every year at this time, at least one, sometimes two, and, once in a great while, three people have the need to proclaim something akin, “Finally, the weather is warming up, I won’t have to wear sox until November.” It is not just a matter of fact comment made in general conversation or in passing. Nay, nay, the proclamations are done with some amount of joy, with passion and sometimes even fervor. My reaction is always the same…
     I simply and without any emotion respond, “OK.”

     But I am thinking and wondering, “why are you sharing this with me? Why do you feel the need to share this with me?” Sox? Really? I could really, truly, care less. Yet, it is so important in the lives of some folks that they need to proclaim this to others… to me. It is bewildering. People don’t have the same fervor about not having to wear sweaters, sweatshirts, parkas, gloves, scarves, knit hats, long johns, snow boots, or even long sleeves. I have never ever heard someone say, “I have turned off the heated seats in my car and not even thinking about it again until the first frost.”
     Why sox? I am intrigued and mystified why people have to tell that they are excited and delighted not to be wearing them for the next six months. It is like an annual epiphany for them. They are delighted and excited. They may have druid blood in them and are so far removed from Stonehenge, that this is their way of celebrating the vernal equinox.
     Why sox? My feeling on sox are pretty neutral. I like them to fit. I throw them out when they have holes in them or when the elastic in them are no longer, um… elastic. I buy them when I need them and like get them on-sale and in value packs. That’s about it. Other than that, I never really think about them except in the morning when I select the pair to wear that day. Oh yeah, after years of intense training from first mother and then wife, I have learned to choose the sox of the day in a color that matches or compliments the color of the slacks and shoes of that very same day.
      As for not wearing sox? Well, in the warmer climes, I do like to wear sandals and boat shoes. More often than not, when donning such footwear, I go sockless. It’s nice but I do not feel the need to proclaim it to anyone let alone everyone. If anything, I will occasionally wear sox with sandals. I only do this to bewilder and generate comments from the same folks who feel the need to tell me how much they enjoy going sockless. I actually get a bit of joy from doing this.
     In my view, there are definite benefits to wearing sox. They provide extra cushion and comfort. They also serve a very important function in certain footwear: they either prevent or absorb perspiration. I simply find it uncomfortable to have sweaty feet… period. Even with sneakers, tennis shoes, trackies, trainers, or whatever it is we are calling gym shoes these days, I tend to wear the low-rise sox that give the appearance of not wearing sox at all.
     I am such a poser.

No comments:

Post a Comment