Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Steve Inskeep

 

New York Post


I listen to National Public Radio (NPR).  The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and NPR’s Morning Edition are my primary source of news.  I have been a steady listener of Morning Edition since its inception on November 5, 1979.  I listen during my morning commutes.  Morning Edition is thus my longest running source of news.

Bob Edwards was the host of Morning Edition from the first day.  I was really used to his style.  To me he was the voice of Morning Edition.  In 2004, NPR wanted to “freshen up” the shop.  The let Edwards go.  He was replaced by Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne.  In researching this piece, I was surprised to learn that the change from Edwards to Inskeep took place that long ago.  In my mind, it was like three or four years ago, not eighteen! 

At first, I thought Steve Inskeep was just OK.  He was no Bob Edwards, but he dutifully read the news and adequately handled the hosting.  Fast forward a quick eighteen years and today I really appreciate Steve Inskeep

Why do I appreciate Inskeep?  Well, I used to him as I was used to Bob Edwards back in the day.  Furthermore, he has grown nicely in his years of hosting.  Inskeep, 53 years old, started with Morning Edition when he just 33.  Born in Carmel, Indiana and educated at Morehead State University in Kentucky, Steve Inskeep’s delivery, tone, and demeanor is very even keeled.  He seems like a pretty calm and patient fellow.  It is what you would expect from someone from Midwest.  Furthermore, he seems to me to be more of Heartland Midwesterner than a Rust Belt one.  He is unpretentious and seems easy-going.  There is something familiar about him, you know, the king of guy you could have a great conversation with over a cup of coffee. 

That is pretty close to how it is driving to work.  I have a cup of coffee in my de rigueur Yeti mug, driving to work, listening NPR.  Except it is a very one-sided conversation.  Steve is doing most of the talking.  He covers the news in a way that lets me come to my own conclusions.  I cannot say the same about the TV news networks:  MSNBC, Fox News, and even CNN.  Critics of NPR think they are very liberal.  I think the centrist to, maybe, slightly left of center. 

In the past few years, Inskeep has been a wee bit more edgy especially when it comes to interviews.  For the most part, his questions are straight forward and are served up in what I have laid out as his even-keeled and easy-going manner.  If the interviewee tries to avoid answering or pivots away from a sensitive or touchy question, Inskeep has gotten very deft at not letting them do that.  He is like a super smart, quick witted, agile, and impressively passive-aggressive.  When the subject pivots, Inskeep moves to block the move.  If they retreat, he is there to stop them. He does this in such a way that he very often gets a very thoughtful answer from the person he is interviewing.  He doesn’t corner them, it is more like he coaxes and nudges them, and gives them time, to formulate a thoughtful, if measured, answer to his question.  It is truly impressive. 

It doesn’t always work out this way.  On January 12 of this year, he was interviewing former President Trump.  About 7 minutes into the interview that was a bit of chess game between them, Inskeep was asking Trump if it were true that he won’t endorse candidates for the midterms unless they agree to push Trump’s case on the 2020 Presidential Election.  Trump gave a Trumpian answer and abruptly said bye and hung-up.  Steve was a little surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment