Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Three Deans

Dean Wes Lindahl
     There is a reception today, May 9, 2019, at North Park University to honor three Deans that are stepping down or retiring from their positions. Dean Craig Johnson of the School of Music, Art, and Theater and Dean Linda Duncan of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences are retiring. Dean Wes Lindahl, our dean, from the School of Business and Nonprofit Management is stepping down as Dean and while continue on as a member of our faculty.
     We are not a large University. We are less than 4,000 students and thus the changing of three Deans is kind of a big deal. All have long term ties to North Park. Deans Lindahl and Duncan actually have their undergraduate degrees from this gem of a school on Chicago’s north side. While Dean Johnson did not attend North Park University, his uncle penned the Alma Mater. I believe all are members of the Evangelical Covenant Church. All three schools have flourished under the leadership of these three leaders. 

     We have a small Music, Theater, and Arts programs compared to larger, more well known, universities. But, the quality of music, art, and theater has impressed me since my days as an adjunct at North Park. I am truly impressed with the creativity and talents of our students. Dean Johnson has been an excellent leader, coach, and inspiration to that school. In my first year as a full-time faculty, Dean Johnson also served as acting Provost. In my humble opinion, he did a phenomenal job. Certainly, he handled all the administrative items
Dean Craig Johnson
expertly. Even though he was only in that position for a year, he got to know all of the faculty. While he could make the tougher decisions, he never wavered from his kind and friendly demeanor. I admire this most about Dean Johnson. I appreciated his leadership so much that I encouraged him to throw his hat in the ring and become the Provost. He was appreciative of the affirmation, but graciously declined. I will miss seeing him on campus and miss our conversations.
     Of the three deans, I know Dean Duncan least. She has grown the nursing department and has a reputation of being a no-nonsense leader. I think you have to be a no-nonsense leader in a professional school that must comply with licensure requirements of the state. Ultimately, the lives of the patients that are under the care of the nurses we graduate are at stake. A program such as nursing has to be tightly and expertly managed. Dean Duncan has done just that. Professor Vollmert
Dean Linda Duncan
and I, served on a new student orientation panel with her once. Brian and I did our usual competent-comical job. We had her laughing out loud. Ever since then, we will always stop and chat a bit whenever our paths cross. She always tells me, “you and your buddy are a riot.”
     Needless to say, I know Dean Wes Lindahl the best. He has been the Dean of the School of Business and Nonprofit Management during my two years as an adjunct and five years as full-time faculty member in the School of Business and Nonprofit Management. In my first year as an adjunct, I was in the Math Department teaching Statistics. I saw an advertisement for an adjunct position to teach operations management. I jumped at it. I first met Dean Lindahl during the interview and classroom observation. I was delighted to get that assignment. While teaching that first course, Dean Lindahl informed me that they were looking for a full-time professor in operations management and encouraged me to apply. Naïve to the ways of higher education, I just assumed I needed a PhD. Dean Lindahl told me I could apply for as a professional track vs tenure track applicant. I took his advice and applied as I always wanted to be a full-time professor. I submitted my materials in December of 2013. At the end of April, the following year, he gave me a call offering me the position. I am eternally grateful for his suggesting that I apply for the position.
     I have had great and horrible leaders in my career. Dean Lindahl has been great. We get along wonderfully even though he is proactive, and I am a master at just-in-time (i.e. procrastination). I know it frustrates him at times, but we make it work. Being a dean is not like being a corporate boss. Faculty can be an independent bunch. Leading them is akin to herding cats. Wes has been wonderful for me. If I comply with the dates for getting grades and syllabi in, if I schedule and hold office hours, and a few other administrative details, Wes is happy and has always given me a lot of freedom. As he saw my performance and capabilities, he has graciously given me more responsibilities and opportunities. Again, being new to higher education, his door has always been open, and he has been a great help in interpreting policy, providing advice on how to accomplish this or that, and generally coaching me along and answering any inane questions I might have. This last part has been invaluable, and I greatly appreciate him for that. On top of this, he is a nice fellow. We get along. We are about the same age and are both grandfathers. We have a lot to talk about. What more can one ever want from a boss?
     Dean Lindahl is North Park through and through. His father was a professor here. He, his wife, and their children all went here. He has a passion and love for the university and the Evangelical Covenant Church that is quite special. I credit being around him as a major reason for the passion and love I now have for this university. As he steps down and becomes a colleague, I know his door will always be open for advice, guidance, and camaraderie. I look forward to this next chapter.
     Congratulations to all three Deans for their service, dedication, and jobs well done!
===
Note:  Click on the captions of each photo to go to their respective faculty profiles.
The Three Deans with Provost Michael Emerson and President Mary Surridge
at the reception held in their honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment