Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Mere Three?

http://www.imagenow.ie/projects/tv-rebrand
     April has come and gone. It was a blur of a month. I had great writing/blogging ambitions when the month dawned. As it ended, I only had three posts. Three! That was the least number of posts since December 2017 when I had zero posts.
     I thought I would get to five or six posts. I had stated two and stalled. One of those turned into my rememberance of my friend Angel. It was not easy to write. I wrote a few paragraphs and then mulled over what I had written and what I really wanted say about my dear friend. I started another, an homage to a new friend, Haig Utidjian, from Prague. Again I wrote a few paragraphs and stalled out. I wanted to make sure I was properly portraying the depths and breadth of his talents and passions. I was struggling to do so. That piece is still a work in process… hopefully this month.
     There is an ebb and flow to creativity and energy. In April, it was definitely more ebb than flow. It just happens. I can neither plot it nor predict when there might be a peak or a valley. It is something like biorhythms but not really. For me, it is more random in both frequency and duration. I do believe over the years I have learned how to work my way out of such funks and take advantage of the energy and clarity at the peaks to maximize productivity.
     So, here I am in the waning hours of May 1st. I am bound and determined to get five-hundred words down and get my first post for this month. Am I forcing this a bit? You bet I am. Look at the topic? It is not really a topic. It is a bloggy bit about nothing to borrow from the Seinfeld show. Let me be clear, the Seinfeld show about nothing was infinitely more interesting and funny than this drivel I am pounding into the keyboard might ever be.
     But you work through a doldrum. You bear down and return to fundamentals: write every day and the quality and subject matter will materialize. Write about anything. Write about nothing. Just write. Just Do It. That’s it I will slogan my way through this dang thing.
     Unless I write a lame piece like this, no one may sense that I am going through this. I assume others have the same kind of ebb and flow in whatever they do. I can only assume it is true since I really have not ever actually noticed it in others. There is no real way to surmise this short of the noticing that someone’s productivity seems less than their norm.
     There is another factor that I know juices up my productivity. That would be an impending deadline. Nothing is clears out the doldrums and gets the blood coursing like a deadline. Necessity drives action and squelches the lethargy. There is no wonder that this week is more pr
oductive since it is the last week of classes. Things simply have to get done and pronto. 
Oddly, it makes me want to write more at the same time. 
     Dang, who woulda thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment