Thursday, June 20, 2024

Short Read, Sweet Procratination: A pre-book Report

 

The school year officially ended in mid-May.  I had great ambitions for the summer.  I wanted to be proactive and really be prepared for the start of the fall term.  I wanted to a lot of writing as well as a list of books I wanted to read.  Other goals involved exercise and healthy living.

It is now mid-June.  The summer solstice is today.  I should have already read to two of the eleven books in the queue.  That just hasn’t happened.  There are a variety of reasons many of which are actually valid.  I also went into a period of serious battery recharging.  Yes, battery recharging, which sounds so much healthier than what others might call it:  lethargy or even worse extreme laziness.

I had a few tasks that had hard deadlines in the past week.  There was barely enough time to meet the deadlines and thus it required an all-out effort fueled by panic, stress, and caffeine.  There is nothing like having to get stuff done PDQ or ASAFP to bust out of a lethargic spell.  My batting average for getting stuff done start to tick up ever so slightly.

The book reading, however, is still on the launch pad.

I have slim volume by William Saroyan:  Short Drive, Sweet Ride.  This book, published in 1966, chronicles Saroyan’s leisurely drive across the United States from New York to Fresno.  It might  loosely be considered Saroyan’s Armenian American version of Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley (1962).  This is, theoretically, the perfect first book to read.  It is short and Saroyan and sure to be an easy read with humor and wisdom weaved about the narrative.  Yes, it is the perfect book to get going, but choosing the book is easy; the actual reading part is the problem.

We recently reconfigured our living room.  We added two nice comfortable wingback chairs.  We also rearranged the furniture to create a real salon feel.  The room is full of light in the morning.  This all makes it the perfect reading venue with that first cup of espresso.  I simply have to take advantage of this… PDQ or ASAFP. 

It seems I am not the only trying to get back to reading.  There was a report on the Today Show about reading parties.  These are not book clubs.  Book clubs are when everyone reads the same book on their own and then gather to discuss the book, nosh, and imbibe.  Reading groups are different.  With the reading parties, people gather in really comfortable settings, usually consisting of plush sofas, easy chairs, and billowy floor pillows strewn about.  The gather, take a seat, and… read.  They read to themselves.  There is a ‘curated’ play list providing ambiance.  They do not read the same book.  They read whatever they want to, whatever they are reading, whatever they brought with them.  The sit, get cozy, and read.  After some designated time, they stop reading, nosh, have something to drink, and talk to each other about what they are reading.  It seems to be a younger person thing that began in either San Francisco or New York. 

There was an article on this phenomenon in the New York Times in December 2023:  It’s My Party and I’ll Read If I Want To.  They introduced an entity (maybe even a company), Reading Rhythms that organizes and hosts events in both Brooklyn and Manhattan.  Some events are free most cost $10, a modest admission for New York City.  Then I suppose the make their money on food and drink.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they sell the most popular books as well.  Per the Times article:

The parties, which began in May, take place on rooftops, in parks and at bars. The premise is simple: Show up with a book, commit to vanquishing a chapter or two and chat with strangers about what you’ve just read.

The reading and socializing seem to be a good combo.  There were 65 people at a reading party in December who paid $10 each.  The surprising part is that there were 270 people on the waiting list.  These events get people reading and mixing with others.  The testimonials on the website and in the New Times all extoll variations of the same two benefits of these reading parties:   getting back to reading and making new friends they connect with on a deeper level.

Maybe I need to join a reading party.  There is one in Evanston.  But no.  I will stick to what I do when not in the depths of inactivity, I read books and pretend I am still at Burns Elementary School in Miss MacDonald’s, Mrs. Nanes, or Mrs. Bashalier’s class and… write a book report and post it in this blog.  I loved to read the books, but I absolutely dreaded writing the book report.  I love writing them now.

Well, I have to get back to reading.  Look for my forthcoming book report on Saroyan’s Short Drive, Sweet Ride… as soon as I get back reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment