Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas 2021

 

Our Home on Christmas Eve

It is Christmas morning.

I am up as early as I have ever been on Christmas Day.  For some reason, I couldn’t sleep. 

It is dark out, but as it is Christmas, we left our outside Christmas lights on.  So, there is a festive view as I sip on some coffee while collecting and sharing my thoughts with you this morning.

For me, writing this post each year is a time for reflection.  Heck, the entire blog may be about reflection, but more so at this time of the year.  In the next week, I will write about the start of a new year and the resolutions I may or may not keep.  These two postings are my most reflective and amongst my favorites to write.

This is the second Covid Christmas.  More people have travelled this year due to the vaccine, but Omicron has taken the edge off gatherings at least in our circle of family and friends.  We were a grand total six on Christmas Eve.  We will be five on Christmas Day. This is a far cry for 20, 30, and sometimes 40 people that we have hosted on Christmas Eve BC (before Covid).

With only six people in the house, it was quieter and more relaxed.  We talked and could have longer and deeper conversations.  Part of me missed the joyful chaos and holiday cheers of the Fezzywig like gatherings we used to have.  Not a drop of alcohol was consumed last night, and the clean-up was way less epic.  I might get used to this new norm, if Covid becomes a way of life (which I hope it does not).

Christmas last year, was tougher.  It was the first year of being with way less family and Covid cast a darker shadow.  This year, we kind of know and are used to the drill.  We will use FaceTime to the fullest to connect with those that we wish were here with us.  We are anticipating a call any moment from the East Coast Gavoors so we can watch our grandchildren open their gifts.  We are going with the flow.

Per usual, I have taken the opportunity to chat with friends that I have not spoken to since last Christmas or even longer.  It is always good to reach out, to reconnect, to catch-up.  I have talked or texted with folks from Madrid and Florida.  Of course, talking to my friend Andres in Uruguay is an absolute must.  Mostly, the folks I talk with are doing well and doing the best they can in these pandemic times.  One friend, however, is suffering from a cancer that has severely affected his speech.  He was so hard to understand, they we decided to simply text.  Another told me his wife was battling cancer.  I suppose health issues like this will only increase as we age.

In catching up, my old friends ask if I am fully retired yet.  I gladly tell them no and that I am still teaching full-time.  The students keep me young, young at heart and young in spirit, for sure.  People wonder why I am still working.  My answer is simple.  As a labor of love, it is not really like working.  I also say, “you know those guys that talked about playing golf everyday when they retire?  Well, this is my golf.”  Indeed, it is.

We were supposed to fly to LA to see the West Coast grandsons.  Omicron, however, thwarted those plans.  We will join them on FaceTime in a few hours.

Wishing all my family and friends a very merry Christmas.  Peace on Earth, goodwill toward men.

No comments:

Post a Comment