Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Annals of Motivation... Again


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/148759593917028692/visual-search/
      I have been thinking of a quote recently that I have not thought about for several years. 
The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want for what we want at the moment.
~ Suprina Berenyi 
     I am not questioning why this notion came front of mind all of a sudden, but I wondered more why this quote took a vacation for so long. It is something is something I need think of everyday for motivation and to nurture a longer term and bigger goal perspective. The humorous part of this is that my struggle with moral of this quote has been lifelong. It was why I blog rather than write a book. Blogs are shorter and can be written in the moment whereas a book requires planning and a longer-term focus. I have never as been good at endeavors that require long term planning, focus, and effort. 
      Suprina, a wellness coach and nutritionist, is absolutely correct. Failure and unhappiness is indeed the result of trading off what I really want for what I want at the moment. Well, that is extreme, because I am not wallowing in unhappiness nor am I burdened by always feeling as a failure. I do have my moments, however. 
     Supposedly, according to a mythical story on the origin of our last name, our family motto is never to leave today’s work for tomorrow. This is definitely not a motto that I live to though I should. Part of long term projects and planning is to set a schedule and do some of the work according to that schedule 
     There are two other quotes that go along with Suprina’s. Together they truly provide a set of tenets, a collective motto, by which I should live my work life. The other two quotes are: 
Knowing never equals doing. - Mariah Smith

Start sewing and God will supply the thread. ~ German Proverb 
     I tend to know what to do, how to do it, and, then, procrastinating like crazy. I have fought against this forever. The German Proverb is indeed the prescription for procrastination. The first step is simply just to start. Don’t procrastinate. Start the task. That simple act overcomes the biggest hurdle I, and many others apparently, have… just getting started. Even if you are not sure how to start or what to do, it doesn’t matter. Start. God will supply the thread. 
     When thought of together and put into action, it works. I know this. I really do. But, as Mariah Smith stated so eloquently “Knowing never equals doing.” 
     It is the doing, the executing, the flat-out getting things done that makes the difference. It is the bias for action, for working toward what we really want rather than what we want for the moment. If you do this enough, what you really want and what you want for the moment becomes the same thing. 
     I really make it sound so very simple.
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment