Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Congratulations to Ara Topouzian

     It is good having a resolution to write more!
     One of the great things about writing daily is that one is more aware of the news and happenings of friends and family simply because such things provide something to write about. Today was a perfect example of this.
     I learned from Facebook that my good friend Ara Topouzian was named to the Michigan Council for the Arts:

"Governor Rick Snyder recently announced the appointment of Ara Topouzian, President/CEO of the Troy Chamber of Commerce, to the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs. 
The 15-member council, housed in the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, helps create an environment of artistic, creative, and cultural activity to support Michigan’s quality of life and economic vitality."  Troy Chamber of Commerce Press Release
     I am so happy for my friend, our dear family friend, and fellow musician. In the past few years, he has expressed a desire to get more involved in the arts on a broader scale either in Metro Detroit or in the State. It is just great to see someone that I know realize what they desired and worked for.
     I know, I know, I am positively writing about Ara and seriously praising and congratulating him. As appropriate as it is, it is out of character because that is not what Ara and I do for each other. We have fun with each other. We make fun of each other. We make fun and take shots at each other with such gusto and vigor that folks will often question whether we actually like each other. We do.
     Simply, on some level, perhaps all levels, we think we are the second coming of The Three Stooges or any other slapstick comedy act. Indeed, I have blogged about him three other times and mentioned him in blogs probably a dozen more times:

     Just after I read the press release announcing his appointment to the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, I texted him my sincere and heartfelt congratulations. It did not take long for that to unravel into what we usually do. I started pretending I was any number of prima donna Armenian musicians who would be jealous of Ara and scoff at this news and great honor. I could hear him laughing even though I am in Los Angeles and he is in Detroit.
     Ara will be a great asset to the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affairs. He will participate and get involved with enthusiasm. He will influence the presence of the Arts in Michigan and enhance the output of the Council in positive ways always, looking to help the segments of the population that have not gotten the exposure they deserve.
     I was looking for the right photo to accompany this bloggy bit. It couldn’t be a serious photo that is for sure. But, I also did not want to make the distinguished appointee look too goofy (oh my the restraint I had to use here). So, I settled on a photo we took when we did a concert in Farmington Hills a few years ago. We were backstage in the wood shop before the concert and we thought we would do a little work on our really expensive, hand crafted, instruments.  The look on his face?  Priceless.
     Congratulations Ara… well deserved. Make us all proud.

1 comment: