Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Multiple Shampoos?

modernconceptssalon.com
Note:  I wanted to title this piece Shampoon but I could not make the exponent work in the title window on blogger.

     I still have enough hair that require cutting and trimming every three to five weeks. I used to go to barbershops which then gave way to salons. Now these independent businesses seem to have given way to the franchises like Great Clips, Supercuts, and, the place I have gone for the past several years, Sports Clips.
     They do a good job at my Sports Clip location and the prices are reasonable especially now that I get a senior discount. Their locations are sports themed in all the décor that gives the feel of being in an arena. There are TVs everywhere and they, by policy, are tuned to either ESPN or a live sporting event. Of course, I always ask if they can put on Oprah or the Hallmark Channel.
     There are a few irritating factors but nothing that makes me want to find another place to get my haircut. First, they are always trying to sell me an upgrade. They have a service called MVP which includes, beyond the haircut, a shampoo, a hot or cold facial towel, and a neck message. I believe it is a $10 upcharge to the cost of a haircut. I never get it, unless it is free. Second, they are always trying to sell me product such as shampoos, creams, conditioners, and other styling stuff. They always ask, quite nicely, and I always say, “No fries with that” with a big enough smile to keep things light. I get it. They are running a business and want more revenue per customer. But, I just want a haircut… that’s all.
     The last thing that frustrates me is from a purely perspective of a professor of business. Their systems are lame. Their online log in system was slow in coming and cumbersome to use. While at each store, they have my records of when I have been there and details of how I like my hair cut. This is cool but that data cannot be accessed by any other Sports Cut location which seems more 1982 to me than 2019.
     The irritants are mild compared to the value of their service and ambiance of their shops and friendliness of the ladies (only ladies) that work there. So, I am a loyal customer and actually give them my endorsement.
     But, this is not why I am writing.
     I needed a haircut yesterday. I went online and saw the wait time at my prime location to be almost an hour. Another nearby shop had no wait time. I have never been to the other shop, so I thought I would give it a try. It was bigger. While the décor was the same, it had a different vibe. It seemed hipper and edgier than the shop I go to. My stylist was a lovely, perky, young lady with short blond hair. She was energetic in both mannerism and in her pace and cadence of how she talked.
      She told me of the Double MVP promotion running in the month of July. I thought it was a buy one get one free offer. I misinterpreted thus causing a comic back and forth until she could better articulate or I could finally understand, that it was all free and involved two MVPs in the same visit. That’s right, two shampoos, two hot or cold towels, and two neck and shoulder massages during the same visit. Part of my not understanding was that I rarely want the service at all and was confused why anyone would want to double up on it. The fact that they offered the double service at all boggled my 1950s issue mind.
     So, being the inquiring person I am, I asked why people would get the double service. In her perky, charming, fast-talking way, she told me multiple shampoos and massages were quite popular with lawyers and marketing people. I found that quite specific in terms of professions favoring this added service. Oh yes, it seems some of these folks would get two, three, or four shampoos in a row. Some even get ten with the record being fifteen as far as she knew. I was kind of astonished. Now, I was the energetic and perky one, talking fast and asking questions.
      I will say that the shampoo experience is very pleasant and very relaxing. You are seated in a recliner with your head in the sink designed just for shampooing hair. They put a perfect temperature hot towel on your face and the stylist basically gives you a head massage lubricated with shampoos and, again, perfect temperature water.
      As pleasant and relaxing as it is, the thought never crossed my mind to ask the stylist to keep doing it. Never. Ever. Yet, this is a real thing. Guys are getting multiple shampoos at I am guessing $10 a pop. “What another?” Sure, why not.”
   All I could think about, but did not say, was that this was some kind of nouveau millennial lawyer marketer replacement for lap dances… which is something I have, of course, only read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment